Another birthday in the books and this was probably the easiest cake I’ve made with my kids.
If you read this post then you know we always make our own birthday cakes when a kid’s birthday rolls around. (My birthday is next up in the family and I’m hoping for a piece of cheesecake from Copeland’s.)
Birthday’s for my kids seem to be coming faster and faster lately. Probably, because I’m in such a sweet spot in my motherhood that I don’t want it to end, so time seems to be going super fast.
Nonetheless, its happening fast whether I want it to or not, so my plan is to just enjoy every moment and soak up every day, even the bad days.
On this particular birthday, one of my boys wanted a baseball birthday cake to match his baseball interests.
That sounded much easier than some of their other birthday cake requests.
I grabbed one of my pyrex bowls and made the cake in it to make it a spherical shape.
Can you bake a Pyrex Bowl in the oven?
The answer is YES. I was nervous to put it in the oven, but thought I’d try it anyway and it worked just fine and we ended up with a perfectly shaped baseball cake. Woo hoo!
Of course, little man got to help and be in the kitchen with me during the cake making.
This cake was so easy and I have a feeling that I will doing the same thing soon, but making it an orange basketball cake for one of the kids.
Yesterday he was born and then he turned six. Grab the Kleenex for this momma.
This cake was a “doctored” up box cake with white chocolate cream cheese icing. YUM. The icing was the big hit of the cake.
So I’m sharing the recipe with you.
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing Recipe
- 6 ounces white chocolate coarsely chopped (get good chocolate)
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- Beat butter and cream cheese together until well combined.
- Melt the white chocolate in microwave safe bowl or over double boiler.
- Add the melted white chocolate to the cream cheese/butter mixture.
- Blend Together in mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar.
- Beat the frosting until fluffy. Approximately 1 minute.
- Use it to decorate with! White Chocolate Frosting goes great with fresh rasberries.
- It is important for the butter and cream cheese to be at room temperature to get the perfect consistency.
How to make a Baseball Cake
- Cook cake in a glass oven safe pyrex bowl (or any other bowl that you have that is oven safe)
- Let COOL for 10 minutes and then invert onto white cardboard circle (can get these in cake section at Wal*Mart)
- Let Cool for 3o minutes
- The cooling actually is important so that your cake doesn’t fall apart when moving and transferring it. (I know from many failed cake experiences.)
- Mix up the delicious icing from recipe above
- Set 1/2 cup icing to the side to dye red with food coloring
- DECORATE and have fun!
Pin this on Pinterest to remember to make later. I have a fancy “hidden” image for you to Pin after you click “Pin”.
What kind of cakes do your kids request?
Do you make your own?