This 4th of July dessert is one of my favorite desserts of the summer. I have about 4 or 5 favorites that I plan to share with you over the next month or so.
But this is definitely one of my favorite summer desserts. It is topped with fresh local fruits that we picked ourselves!
I usually call it dessert pizza and make it in a circular shape and then cut it into triangular “pizza” slices and cover it with fresh kiwi, peaches, blueberries, and strawberries.
BUT— I wanted to make it a little different this time and have some fun with the kids. So we made a flag dessert pizza to prep for the upcoming 4th of July holiday.
I usually make this version every year for Memorial Day or the 4th of July.
Some friends of ours let us in on a little local secret, so we spent a morning
picking eating handfuls of fresh blueberries and filling our buckets.
Doing activities like this is definitely a Mom Perk! I look around at my little tribe of four and just can’t help but smile.
After we picked our blueberries we went and grabbed some local strawberries too, so the dessert flag was a must!
I’m known to make all kinds of themed food around our house. Especially with homeschooling there is always an opportunity to incorporate some learning into a themed food, like the time we made “scales” cake for studying fish or when we also made summer themed cakes. OR the time I did a bible study with Ice Cream with my kids.
I let the kids help me arrange the fruit on our pizza, and one of them insisted on counting to make sure we had fifty blueberries. I did not count them and we did NOT have the correct number on the pizza.
This little pizza was a great discussion precursor to some of our homeschool stuff for the fall. I am going to be doing US history with the kids this year with a mix of a little World History. I’ll share with you all of our curriculum picks after I get them all lined out.
Sorry, got off topic.
The point here is that YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS DESSERT for the 4th of July!
So go ahead and PIN this recipe on Pinterest and save it so you can remember it. I’ve included a FANCY Hidden Pinterest image for you when you click the Pin It button at the bottom of this post.
4th of July Dessert
- Fresh Blueberries
- Fresh Strawberries
- 16 ounces Cream Cheese
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Pie Crusts ( homemade is best)
- 8 Ounces Cool Whip
- Roll out the pie crust into the shape of a square and bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes
- To make the Cream Filling Mix Together the Powdered Sugar and Cream Cheese
- After you mix together the powdered sugar and cream cheese add in the cool whip and mix well
- Let the pie crust cool before layering with the cream.
- After the pie crust is cool, put a thick layer of the white cream on the rectangle crust.
- Layer with strawberries and blueberries to resemble a flag.
- Put in refrigerator for 1hour. It is MUCH BETTER after the cream has time to set after being cooled.
Thanks so much for reading!